Microsoft Storage Spaces
Serving the high performance computing market since 1994, RAID, Inc. has deployed end-to-end HPC solutions for leading corporations and government entities, including customized solutions with Microsoft Windows Server 2012, Storage Spaces. We are an original Microsoft partner of their software-defined Storage Spaces, witnessing first-hand the development of a truly disruptive scale-out technology.
- Storage Spaces – Provide virtualized storage pools and virtual hard disks that are configured with specific provisioning and allocation attributes, and can leverage failover clustering for high availability and resiliency.
- Enhanced SMB protocol – Enables file server support for applications needing high performance and availability. SMB Direct provides RDMA hardware support for high performance storage capabilities without high cost. SMB Multichannel facilitates network bandwidth aggregation and fault tolerance for multiple paths between SMB clients and file servers.
- Data deduplication – State-of-the-art data chunking and compression for individual servers as well as branch office extension.
- Enterprise Clustering – Storage Spaces includes a failover clustering platform to achieve High Availability (HA) clustered storage.
- NTFS – Improvements in data integrity and availability.
- Cluster Shared Volume V2 (CSV2) – Shared file storage solution for consolidated storage and application clusters in non-Hyper-V environments. Storage space integration with failover clustering also provides continuously available service deployments.
- Live storage migration – Supporting high availability while moving virtual hard disks between hosts.
- Support for VMware and NFS 4.1 – Enabling VMware virtual machines and other third-party platforms to run with NFS while gaining Windows continuous availability.
Scale-Out File Server Storage Solutions
The new software designed storage technologies available in Windows Server 2012 help transform an existing IT infrastructure into a modern datacenter at an affordable price point via the virtualized storage feature called Storage Spaces.
Windows Server 2012 Benefits
“Windows Server 2012 provides powerful new technologies that help transform an existing IT infrastructure into a modern datacenter that effectively addresses every available opportunity with agility and efficiency,” states ESG in its 2012 Lab Validation Report. “New and improved features provide high performance and scalability that create a dynamic, multitenant infrastructure which securely scales workloads to meet even the most complex SLAs, while offering the flexibility to adapt to ever-changing business needs,” ESG further states. With new enterprise-class storage features and functions delivered on cost-effective, industry standard hardware, customers can expect capabilities such as:
These new storage solutions deliver continuous application uptime while maximizing performance, scalability, and choice with industry leading partners through benefits such as:
At the conclusion of its testing, ESG stated, “These technologies enable enterprise IT to simplify services and management, while quickly supporting process and application deployment, scaling, and integration. Along with improved availability and access to applications, Windows Server 2012 simultaneously reduces costs, capital investment, and risk.”