High Performance Lustre ZFS
ZFS is a robust, scalable file system with features not available in other file systems available today. ZFS can enable cheaper storage solution for Lustre and increase end-to-end data.
- Hybrid Storage Pool (ARC+L2ARC+ZIL)
- Copy on Write (COW)
- Always consistent on disk
- Snapshot and replication
- Compression and deduplication
Press Release! LLNL selects RAID Inc. for new parallel file system in its high performance computing center.
How do Lustre and ZFS Interact:
- Lustre targets run on a Local File-System on Lustre Severs. Object Storage Device (OSD) Layer supported are:•LDISKFS (EXT4) is the commonly used driver
- ZFS is the 2nd use of the OSD layer based on OpenZFS implementation Other file system are possible with non trivial work
- Allows the replacement of Ldiskfs (EXT4) with ZFS
- Lustre targets can be different types (hybrid Ldiskfs/ZFS is possible)
- Lustre Clients are unaffected by the choice of OSD filesystem